Be a part of Australia’s premier representative body for Trail Horse Riders.
Ride with confidence when you have an ATHRA club membership.
ATHRA provides members with great value and benefits.
CALAJERO CAMP 2021
Sunday 19th to Saturday 25th September.
“The Barn” at Calejero is situated on the Dargo Road on Iguana Creek (Glenaladale), about 30 minutes’ drive north east from Stratford, or north west from Bairnsdale. The trip is quite straight forward, approximately 5 hours floating. Members may wish to make arrangements to travel together, for company and support.
The well-equipped kitchen/lounge with cosy fire, (two large fridges are not shown). There is an undercover socialising area with cabins on the right. Note the comfy chairs, wood heater and wood fire pizza oven in background. The Barn has 8 rooms with sleeping accommodation for various numbers, and there are 5 bunks in a large dormitory type area above with room for swags.
The costs are the same if you use your float etc. for accommodation. The venue offers hot showers, full toilet facilities, fully equipped kitchen, safe paddocks for horses, and some yards; but I strongly suggest you bring portable electric yards if you wish to keep your horse separate. Bring all food and drinks (for humans & horses) as the event is self-catering. Bairnsdale is only 30 minutes away, (we usually visit there on the rest day), and has a variety of shopping options. There will be a pizza night, so bring along suitable ingredients. The Briagolong pub is close by and has great meals, we usually dine there one night. This year we will be riding there for lunch. BYO blankets, pillows, sheets, sleeping bags etc, and towels to suit your personal requirements. This event is not open to Day Members, but ATHRA members and Club families/friends are welcome. It is vital that we make efficient use of the available space, and rooms will be allocated accordingly. Members may attend for all nights at a discounted rate, or as many days as they wish; refer to notes re venue costs on next page.
PLEASE NOTE: Please do not arrive at the venue until after midday on Sunday, to allow time for cleaning and preparation of the venue. BSTHRC must vacate by 10am on Saturday 5th.
VENUE COSTS: Adults $45 per person per night, (or $40 if you stay for all nights), children under 16 $25 per night, pre-schoolers and HORSES are FREE. A $100 deposit is required with your nomination/booking, the balance payable on arrival. You can EFT the full amount calculated @ - Six nights at $40 = $240 plus $5 ride fee = Total $245.
Club Ride Fee: There will be a flat $5 ride fee to cover all rides.
All bookings should be made to Alan Salter at email@example.com. Rooms will be allocated according to requirements etc.; early nominations and bookings will have preference. I recommend that families or groups get together to work out compatibilities. Confirmation of payment of a $100 deposit or full amount is required before a booking will be confirmed. Payment should be made by EFT (direct deposit) into the Ballarat Social Trail Horse Riders Club Bendigo Bank account, BSB & Account Number 633-000, 155 873 003. Please quote your name and Cal21 as a reference, E.g., SalterCal21
There will time for a relaxing leisurely ride on Sunday to let the horses wind down after their journey. Rides will be arranged daily, according to member preferences and skills, easy and not so easy, half or full day. Separate rides may be conducted simultaneously to cater for all. Participants may ride, or have a rest day as they wish, with plenty of non-horse riding activities in the offing for non-riding family and friends. Horses and riders will require a degree of fitness and it is suggested that members start preparations/training now. Those who have attended this event all agree that this is not a ride for nervous riders, so please bear this in mind if nominating. It is important that you do not “overfeed” your horse with unnecessary hot feeds. Basic feed of chaff and Lucerne chaff with a cool supplement and good clean hay will be quite sufficient, and help prevent tying up and an uncontrollable horse. I am available for advice on feeding and preparations if required. Horses will need to be shod in the week before, or at the very least well booted up because it is hard and stony under foot. Breastplates are essential as we will be riding in hilly terrain most of the time. This camp was set during the school holidays so that families can attend. Hope to see you all there.
Please advise if you are interested in dinner at the iconic Dargo Hotel on our rest day. I will make a tentative booking for this, but your advice when nominating is essential. Please email your Nomination and Health Declaration (below) to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Nomination & Health Declaration
I, , wish to nominate for the BSTHRC Camp at Calajero from the 19th to 25th of September 2021. I declare that I have not knowingly been exposed to Covid-19 and that I do not feel unwell, nor do I have a cold or flu like symptoms. My Emergency Contact is, , mobile number Please read the Covid-19 Protocols and Club Rules overleaf.
Ballarat Social Trail Horse Riders Club - Covid-19 Ride Protocols – revised 30th March 2021.
1. No more than 50 riders will be permitted to attend a ride or event during Government imposed restrictions relating to the Covid-19 Pandemic. (*Number subject to revision).
2. If more than 50 nominations are received for a ride, a ballot will be held to determine who will ride. (A rider who is balloted out of a ride shall have priority at their next ride). All attendees must nominate by email to email@example.com . The nomination will assist contact tracing and is regarded as a signature on the Attendance Register. It must include a declaration or comment that the nominee has not knowingly been exposed to Covid-19 and they do not feel unwell or have a cold or any flu like symptoms, and an Emergency Contact name & phone number.
3. If subsequent to nominating for a ride, a nominee has contact with Covid-19, becomes unwell, or has cold or flu like symptoms, they MUST immediately advise the Club and MUST NOT attend the ride.
4. To avoid unnecessary risk of contamination attendees will NOT be required to sign the actual Ride Attendance Register. (Also refer to Rule 16).
5. All Ride Attendance Registers used during the Government restriction period shall include an acknowledgement that the attendee does not feel unwell or have flu like symptoms. Their emailed nomination will be regarded as a declaration to that effect.
6. The Trail Boss or a Club Official shall have the discretion to exclude a rider if they believe that rider’s participation may place others at risk, and that rider shall leave the venue immediately.
7. All attendees shall conscientiously observe social distancing and remain at least 1.5 metres away from others.
8. The Club will provide hand sanitiser and hand wash at all rides and events. Wherever possible water will be made available for washing of hands.
9. Members must observe recognised biosecurity measures, washing hands regularly and after contact with another rider and / or their equipment or property.
10. Horse floats shall be parked so as to allow good social distancing.
11. The Club recommends that all attendees supply their own towels. There shall be no sharing of tack or equipment, water buckets, sponges, towels etc.
12. Club equipment such as radios will be sanitised before and after each ride.
13. The First Aid kit shall be upgraded to contain face masks, rubber gloves, & hand sanitiser.
14. The Club strongly recommends and asks that members or other persons attending rides or events during the Restriction Period download the COVIDSafe app to their phone.
15. All ride fees must be paid upon arrival at the ride venue, the exact ride fee placed in a named, sealed envelope with the ride name & date. Fees will be reconciled in accordance with recognised biosecurity practice.
16. Day Members and non-Club ATHRA members will NOT be eligible to ride with the Club during Covid-19 Restrictions.
B.S.T.H.R.C. Club Rules
1. Members should become familiar with the ATHRA Code of Conduct & these BSTHRC Rules.
2. Sick horses must not be brought to Club rides or events. If you suspect your horse is ill DO NOT bring it. Members should be mindful of horse health & welfare issues and apply appropriate biosecurity strategies at all times.
3. No person shall attend a Club ride or other event if they feel unwell in any way, or have a temperature, or are experiencing cold or flu like symptoms.
4. All participants must pay the ride fee when registering and sign the Attendance Register, record their PIC number (if they have one) and provide emergency contact details. (Covid Protocols take precedence.)
5. BSTHRC strongly recommends that all riders have Ambulance cover. An ambulance will be called if deemed appropriate by the Trail Boss, the injured member being responsible for all expenses.
6. Riders under 18 years must wear an approved riding helmet.
7. Riders under 16 must be accompanied & supervised by parent, guardian, or an adult member nominated in writing by the parent or guardian.
8. All riders must carry a lead rope and halter.
9. Horses known to kick must wear a red ribbon in their tail.
10. All riders must advise the Trail Boss of any pre-existing medical condition prior to the commencement of the ride.
11. Horses must be appropriately conditioned & fit for the intended ride, with adequately conditioned feet or shod.
12. Stallions may only be used after prior approval from the Committee & must display a blue ribbon on head gear & tail.
13. Breastplates and Cruppers are recommended
14. Unless otherwise stated, DOGS are not permitted at rides or events.
15. All riders must adhere to these BSTHRC rules and ATHRA’s Code of Conduct.
16. Rider participation signifies understanding and acknowledgement of these Rules, and a willingness to comply.